Spicy Crispy Tofu
05 Mar 2023
Taste of Asian Food
You can turn soft and tender tofu into a crispy delicacy. This spicy crispy tofu recipe with spicy sauce is heavenly.
• 400g medium firm tofu
• 1 tbsp cooking oil
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
• 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 1 tsp chopped garlic
• 2 tbsp chili bean paste
• 2 tsp chili oil (Lau Gan Ma)
• 1 tsp sugar
• 4 tbsp water
1. Place the tofu on a flat surface and put a cutting board on top of it. Then, place a heavy on the cutting board and leave it for half an hour to press out the excess water from the tofu. (You can skip this step if you purchase the pre-pressed tofu).
2. Cut the block of tofu into small cubes of about 1 inch in length.
3. Remove the excess water by putting the tofu cubes on a few paper towels in a single layer.
4. Add three tablespoons of cornstarch starch and 1/4 tsp salt and gently toss the tofu to ensure they are evenly coated.
5. Heat some peanut oil in a non-stick pan to about 180 degrees Celsius. Pan-fry in the hot oil over medium-high heat and pan-fry until golden brown.
6. Combine the wine, light soy sauce, chili bean paste, chili oil, sugar, and water.
7. Heat some vegetable oil in a pan. Saute the chopped ginger and garlic until automatic.
8. Add the sauce mixture into a pan and bring it to a simmer. Simmer the sauce until it turns into a thick sauce.
9. Place the tofu on a serving plate. Add a dollop of thick sauce on top of each tofu cube.
10. Garnish with chopped spring onions to serve.
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
ALL views, content, information and/or materials expressed / presented by any third party apart from Council For Third Age, belong strictly to such third party. Any such third party views, content, information and/or materials provided herein are for convenience and/or general information purposes only. Council For Third Age shall not be responsible nor liable for any injury, loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any such views, content, information and/or materials. Such third party views, content, information and/or materials do not imply and shall not be construed as a representation, warranty, endorsement and/or verification by Council For Third Age in respect of such views, content, information and/or materials.