Transporting Seniors – Virtual Journeys of Well-Being | TOYL x Tech Bazaar
Time: 03:00 PM - 04:00 PM
Learn how virtual trishaw rides are created to explore Singapore!
About this event
NOTE: Registration is only approved if your myLibrary ID is verified.
This programme/event is open to members of the National Library Board, Singapore and those who are aged 50 years and above. Please ensure you have your myLibrary username on hand before proceeding with the registration. If you do not have a myLibrary username, you can create one here: https://account.nlb.gov.sg/.
About the Programme
Imagine taking a trishaw ride around Singapore without actually leaving your place. With Virtual Reality, this is now possible. Find out how Mind Palace and Cycling Without Age Singapore have tapped on VR technology to create virtual trishaw rides for seniors to promote their social and emotional well-being and slow down the effects of dementia.
This programme is suitable for participants aged 50 and above, and is organised in collaboration with Mind Palace, Cycling without Age Singapore and Smart Nation & Digital Government Office.
Eugene Soh is the founder of Mind Palace, a social enterprise that uses virtual reality (VR) technology to immerse person with dementia in familiar locations or experiences, thereby keeping their minds active and slowing the effects of dementia. To date, Mind Palace’s VR headsets have been piloted at several nursing homes across Singapore, and plans are underway to expand the platform to more users.
Jerome Yuen is CEO of Cycling Without Age Singapore, a charity whose iconic red trishaws are used as an intervention tool for socio-emotional well-being. CWAS is also expanding to roll out other programmes to engage and empower the seniors of Singapore to live out their best years yet!
About Tech Bazaar:
Tech Bazaar is an initiative organised by the National Library Board to encourage seniors to experience and discover some of the newest and emerging technologies. With showcases, talks and workshops, participants can find out about topics such as virtual reality, robots and artificial intelligence, as well as meet the experts behind these technologies. This event will be taking place from 21 – 29 May 2022.
Online Programme/Event Administrative Information
- This programme is conducted entirely online. You may access Zoom via the app or using a web browser
- This session will be recorded and images captured may be used for publicity purposes.
- Please ensure that you enter a valid email address as you will receive an email with the link to the online programme/event
- The link of the programme should not be shared with others
- Do ensure you have a strong internet connection. Using your mobile data is not recommended
- The National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) reserves the right in its absolute discretion to disqualify or refuse admission to any registrant without any reason and notice
- Photographs and videos will be taken during the session and images captured may be used for publicity purposes.
National Library Board