This ice-cream recipe is suitable for individuals with egg allergies and/or lactose intolerance, while still invoking the nostalgia of old-school hawker ice cream.
- 500ml of coconut cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 can (425g) of creamy sweet corn*
- Gula melaka syrup (optional)
*Instead of cooking and de-kernelling cobs of corn, canned sweet corn is equally tasty and much more convenient.
- Portion the coconut cream into equal halves.
- In a pot, heat up a portion of coconut cream on low heat (do not boil), and add three tablespoons of brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add the sweet corn to the mixture and stir well to ensure everything is mixed well, and that the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Take the mixture off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whip the other portion of coconut cream using a whisk or a cake mixer until hard peaks form (it will stop sliding off the beater) and set aside.
- Combine both portions by gently folding the whipped coconut cream into the other portion until it is mixed well. Do not whisk.
- Gently pour the combined mixture into a freezer-safe container and flatten it with a spoon or spatula.
- Drizzle gula melaka syrup on top and use a chopstick to create swirls (optional).
- Cover the container with an airtight lid and place it in the freezer for at least 12 hours or until the mixture becomes slightly hard.
- For extra-smooth ice cream, gently stir the mixture with a spoon every few hours.
Source: BRIDGE magazine (May/Jun 2020 issue) by South West CDC. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.