Time needed: Approximately 50 minutes
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables (cauliflower, potatoes, French beans and carrots), chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup of green peas
- 2 green chilies, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- 2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp of mustard seeds
- ½ black pepper powder
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup of low-fat yoghurt
- 3 tbsp of cashew nuts
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- Wash the basmati rice and cook in a rice cooker, adding the appropriate amount of water, 2/3 of the raisins and all of the cashew nuts
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds and cloves. Stir. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add a little hot water if more moisture is needed. Add green chillies, red chilli powder, and cinnamon.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Stir, cover and let it cook for a few minutes. Add a little hot water if mixture is too dry.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, green peas and French Beans. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked.
- Add yoghurt to the pan. Bring to a boil. Add salt and black pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add to the vegetables in the pan. Stir to mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the rest of the raisins.
- You may serve with achar and mung bean curry or raita. For additional protein, you can add diced tau kwa or low-fat paneer.
Source: BRIDGE magazine (Jul/Aug 2020 issue) by South West CDC. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.