This Chap Chye stir-fry recipe ( 炒杂菜/ 快炒什锦菜/chap choy) is an attractive vegetable stir-fry popular in every Chinese household. It is multi-colored, tender-crisp, with a combination of vegetables os different texture and flavor.
The word chap chye is the direct verbatim translation of two characters 杂菜, which means mixed vegetables. The recipe is not fixed. Many home cooks use any available vegetables for cooking up a meal at any time.
This article uses a set of vegetables that are mainly crunchy and tender-crisp and added some mushrooms and ginkgo nuts to deliver a well-balanced texture and color. This combination is frequently used in a Chinese dish called lotus stir-fry 清炒莲藕. I use less lotus root in this recipe and include different components to make it more colorful, flavorful, and with various shapes and textures.
Main ingredients (A)
- 300g (1 oz) lotus root, cut into thin slices
- 70g (2oz) carrot, cut into slices
- 80g (2.5 oz) baby corn, cut into short sections
- 4 lily bulbs, loosen the petals
- 1/2 (40g) stalk celery, cut into slices
- 2 stalks garlic sprouts, cut into one-inch sections
- 4 button mushrooms
- 60g (2oz) bamboo shoot
- 30g (1 oz) ginkgo nut
- 5 tbs of water
Other ingredients (C)
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp cooking oil for stir-frying
Prepare the vegetables
- Get ready all the vegetables in A and cut according to the short direction in the ingredient section.
- Blanch the lotus root, carrot, bamboo shoot in boiling water for 2 minutes, add the sweet peas, and wait until the water comes to a boil again. Drain and set aside. Cut the blanched bamboo shoot into slices
- Saute the chopped garlic in oil until aromatic. Add all the ingredients in A into the wok one by one, flip and mix until they are all heated up.
- Mix all the ingredients in B, and add to the vegetables.
- Stir fry over high heat until the gravy is thickened and is about to dry.
For more tips on this recipe, click here to the original article!
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.