2 portions | Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 60 gm Chinese yam (diced)
- 2 slices Ginger (sliced)
- 40 gm Red carrot (diced)
- 100 gm Rice (optional – Brown rice)
- 2 gm Salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 60 gm Sliced fish / choice of ikan batang,
- ikan kurau, snapper, garoupa or
- freshwater carp or minced meat
- 60 gm Sweet potato (diced)
- 500 m£ Water
- 10 gm Spring onions (diced) – Optional
- Add water, washed rice and sliced ginger into slow cooker on the highest temperature. (NOTE: Cooking time takes about 3 hours. For faster cooking time, use a stove instead.)
- Add diced sweet potatoes, yam, carrots and cook for 30 minutes. Add extra water as necessary for desired consistency.
- Add sliced fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow porridge to cool slightly before transferring porridge to blender. Blend porridge until smooth.
- Season with salt and sesame oil. Garnish with spring onions (optional) before serving.
- Brown rice is considered a wholegrain and is higher in dietary fiber because it has not lost the hull and bran layers in the milling process. Brown rice helps to maintain a healthy weight and better manage blood sugar level.
- Diabetes: Use multigrains like red rice and brown rice to cook the porridge.
- Dysphagia: Replace carrot with sweet potato or pumpkin and avoid spring onions.
Source: Singapore Silver Pages, an initiative by the Agency for Integrated Care. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.