Ingredients (serves 4)
- 140g soba or whole wheat noodles
- 100g beansprouts
- 2 bok choy, leaves separated
- 1 red chilli, sliced and with seeds removed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- ½ small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
For the broth
- 1 roasted chicken carcass and wings
- 1 piece thumb-sized ginger, bashed and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- To make the broth, place the chicken carcass and wings in a large pan. Cover with cold water, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 hr.
- Strain the chicken broth into a clean pan. Carefully pick out any pieces of chicken and return to the broth. Put the broth back on the heat and bring back to the boil.
- Add the noodles and cook for 3 mins until tender, then stir in the beansprouts, bok choy, red chilli, soy sauce, honey and lime juice, adding the squeezed lime halves to the pot too. Cook for 2 mins more.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter over the spring onions and mint leaves, and serve with the lime wedges for squeezing over.
Source: PRIME magazine Issue Apr - May 2015. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.